Becoming a Member
The American Society of Breast Surgeons (ASBrS), the primary leadership organization for general surgeons who treat patients with breast disease, is committed to continually improving the practice of breast surgery by serving as an advocate for surgeons who seek excellence in the care of breast patients. This mission is accomplished by providing a forum for the exchange of ideas and by promoting education, research, and the development of advanced surgical techniques.
The American Society of Breast Surgeons offers four categories of membership as well as a special membership category for patient advocates. In addition to those practicing in the United States, membership in all categories is open to international applicants who meet the requirements below. Learn more about member benefits.
Begin the Application Process
- An Active Member is one of the following:
- a General Surgeon, MD or DO, with a demonstrated interest in breast surgery
- a non-General Surgeon who has successfully completed an SSO/ASBrS approved Breast or SSO/ACGME approved Surgical Oncology Fellowship with a demonstrated interest in breast surgery
- A non-General Surgeon with breast surgery training, actively treating breast patients, with a demonstrated interest in breast surgery, and approved by the Membership Committee on a case-by-case basis. Provide additional documentation in the form of a letter describing the applicant’s breast surgery training and current practice of breast surgery. This letter should include a detailed description of the applicant’s training as well as procedures and activities he/she participates in as a breast surgeon.
- All Active Members must have a full and unrestricted license to practice surgery.
- All Active Members must have current or previous certification from the appropriate certifying Board.
- Annual Dues are $595.
- An Associate Member is a non-board certified surgeon, MD or DO, or a non-surgeon physician, MD or DO, with a demonstrated interest in breast surgery.
- All Associate Members must have a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the jurisdiction in which such physician is engaged to practice.
- Non-surgeon physician Associate Members must have current or previous certification from the appropriate certifying Board.
- Annual Dues are $595.
- An Affiliate Member is a licensed allied healthcare professional, researcher or scientist who is engaged in the care of breast surgery patients.
- Must provide a license/documentation including the expiration date
- Must have a letter of recommendation from a current Active or Associate member.
- Annual Dues are $295.
- A Candidate Member is a General Surgery Resident, Surgical Oncology Fellow or Breast Fellow currently enrolled in a residency/fellowship program.
- Must provide a medical license including the expiration date (if applicable)
- Must provide an official program letter on letterhead, signed by the director stating the current residency/fellowship program, including the term dates. Match, offer, and contract letters will not be accepted.
- Annual Dues are $145.
Note: All above members may sit on committees, but only Active Members and Retired Active Members may vote or hold office.
Patient Advocate Member
- A Patient Advocate Member is one of the following:
- An individual who is actively engaged in the breast cancer community
- Works as an employee or volunteer for a non-profit organization dedicated to breast cancer patient advocacy
- Serves as a patient representative working with a multidisciplinary team at a public or private institution
- Must provide a letter of recommendation from a current Active or Associate member
- Must provide a brief explanation of the reason for joining
- Annual Dues are $145.
Note: Patient Advocate members may sit on committees by committee chair invitation only, but may not vote or hold office.
Active Members/Retired Member
If you are a current Active member retiring from the practice of breast surgery, and would like to continue your membership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions. Annual dues are $295.
Note: All members may sit on committees, but only Active Members and Retired Active Members may vote or hold office.
Dues will be adjusted for members in any membership category who are US active duty military. Annual Dues:
Active – $295
Associate – $295
Affiliate – $145
Candidate – $75
Note: If you are active duty military and are deployed, the annual membership fee will be waived.
Eligible members should contact email@example.com and provide a copy of their current orders. The membership status will be updated, and the discounted membership rate will be applied.
International Applicant Requirements
International physicians who do not live in the United States, Canada, or Puerto Rico may apply for membership in the American Society of Breast Surgeons. An applicant must meet the qualifications stated in one of the above categories, and the applicant must show evidence of professional standing by providing the following:
- Curriculum vitae
- Valid medical license
- Surgical license or certificate (as applicable). Provide contact information for surgical certification board.
- Current proof of privileges at a healthcare facility in the form of a letter on official letterhead in English including the institution name, length of time employed from the Chief of Staff, Department Chair, Credentials Committee Chair, or similar individual.
- If applying for Active status as a non-general surgeon, provide additional documentation in the form of a letter describing the applicant’s breast surgery training and current practice of breast surgery. This letter should include a detailed description of the applicant’s training as well as procedures and activities he/she participates in as a breast surgeon.
All documents must be submitted in English. If original documents are not in English, they must be translated into English and notarized with an original signature from a Notary Public.